Orthodontic braces can straighten your teeth in ways that humans once could only dream of. Braces offer the chance for alignment in mouths that were previously thought to be unfixable. It is important that with such great advances in our modern technology, we do not forget to care for the technology itself. Braces need to be maintained just like any other finely tuned machine. Our teeth are still susceptible to tooth decay, so we must do our job in caring for our mouths so that our braces can do their job. Here are a few ways you can keep your braces in good shape:
– Avoid foods that can get stuck in your braces and lead to tooth decay. This includes corn on the cob, chewy foods such as taffy, hard foods such as apples, and various nuts and snacks.
– To protect your teeth and jaw, wear a mouth guard when playing contact sports. Your orthodontist can recommend a specific mouth guard for individuals with braces.
– Continue your regularly scheduled cleanings and exams with your dentist.
– Continue brushing your teeth (and your retainer) twice a day, Also floss your teeth daily to prevent plaque buildup between hard to reach areas. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
– Go to your regularly scheduled appointment with your orthodontists at Richmond Orthodontics. Missed appointments will only delay your recovery time.
– Be sure to clean your retainer once a week.
Care for your braces so that they may care for your teeth. If you would like to know more about what you can do to protect your braces, please make an appointment by contacting our wonderful team at Richmond Orthodontics via phone at 804-740-7281. You can also stop by our office in Richmond, Virginia. We look forward to helping you soon!