As you align your smile with Invisalign®, it’s extremely important that you take great care of your aligners. If you care for your aligning trays, you will have a better chance at achieving your perfect smile all while preventing dental issues like tooth decay and gum disease. To properly care for your aligners, we strongly recommend doing the following things:
• Rinse your aligner: Rinse your aligner every time you remove it from your mouth. Doing so will wash away the plaque and saliva that could promote bacteria growth in your mouth.
• Care for your teeth: It is very important that you brush and floss your smile before you put the aligner into your mouth. If you don’t, the harmful food particles and bacteria could get stuck between the aligner and your teeth, increasing your chances of developing dental issues in the future.
• Clean your aligner: Do your best to clean your aligner every day, whether it’s with your toothbrush, Invisalign cleaning kit, or clear anti-bacterial soap. However, if you do decide to clean it with your toothbrush, make sure you are gentle as you clean the aligner. You don’t want to scratch your aligner and leave visible etchings.
• Keep track of your appliance: Many people lose their aligner when they take it out of their mouth. We strongly recommend that you keep track of your aligner and do your best to not lose it. It may be costly to replace.
• Remove the aligner: Make sure you remove the aligner each time you eat or drink something. This is important because many foods and drinks stain the appliance and discolor its surface. However, you are more than welcome to drink water while you have the aligner in your mouth.
If you do the mentioned five things, they will help you have the best smile possible. If you have any questions, please feel free to call our office. We are here to help you in any way we can, and we look forward to talking with you!